If you are using Slideshow for digital signage, it is important to setup automatic startup of Slideshow after the device boots, in case whole device is restarted (e.g. due to power outage).
Setting Slideshow as Android Launcher / Home app
Android Launcher app is an app providing the home screen, displaying widgets and other app’s icons on your Android device. It is the first app that is started when Android is booting up.
You can set Slideshow as your Launcher app:
- Via on-screen menu –
Basic settings, scroll down and click on “Set Slideshow as Launcher / Home application”
- You will get a pop-up, where you can choose Slideshow as your Launcher / Home app, select it. If there is possibility to check “Always”, check it.
- Depending on your device, you might need to redo steps 1, 2, 3 one more time and click on Always button.
- Reboot the entire device. Slideshow should load immediatelly after the booting finishes.
Note that if you set Slideshow as your Launcher app, Home button on your device (or remote control) will be mapped to Slideshow app. If you want to exit Slideshow or open another app, click on
Exit in on-screen menu. You can unset Launcher app via
Setting Slideshow to start at system boot
If you don’t want to change Launcher / Home app on your device, you can still set Slideshow to start automatically using setting “Start at system boot” via on-screen menu –
Basic settings. After Android boots up, it will firstly start your regular Launcher app and then after few seconds, Slideshow will start.
Depending on your Android version, you might need to allow “Appear on top” permission in Android (the name of the permission might differ in various Android versions). If this permission is necessary for automatic startup, Slideshow will automatically navigate you to the Android settings.
Other useful features
You can combine automatic startup with two useful features of Slideshow:
- Setting Android’s wallpaper to Slideshow’s “Loading” screen
- Setting Android’s bootanimation to Slideshow’s “Loading” screen (available only on rooted devices)
You can set both of them via web interface – menu
Device settings – scroll down and press button
Set wallpaper /